Are you looking for a new addition to your breakfast options? Try this easy Nutty Banana Smoothie Recipe that takes less than 5 minutes to make and will help you start your day with a fresh and filling drink that tastes like a milkshake!
Smoothies are so quick and easy to make which makes them a perfect breakfast. This thick, creamy and naturally sweet banana smoothie can be made with your favourite nut butter but I recommend using peanut butter (because who doesn’t love peanut butter and banana!). This healthy recipe is also packed with protein, fats and fibre that will keep you full for the entire morning.
Looking for other breakfast recipes that can accompany this peanut butter smoothie with almond milk? Try these!
This post contains affiliate links that I may earn a commission on (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. This helps me keep my vegan kitchen producing content 🤩 Thank you for your support <3
I love adding different ingredients to smoothies to make the flavours more exciting! Here is a breakdown of what I’ve included in this nutty recipe.
- Ripe or Frozen Banana - This is the base of the smoothie that will make it creamy and delicious! Also bananas are a great source of potassium.
- Peanut Butter - You can use any nut butter you prefer! I use sugar and salt free peanut butter.
- Almond Milk - Water or any other plant-based milk will work just as well.
- Chia Seeds - These little seeds are full of nutrients including omega-3 fatty acids and calcium.
- Almonds - If you didn’t know it already, almonds are so good for you!
- Cinnamon Powder - This adds sweetness and more flavour to the smoothie.
- Cacao Nibs - Craving chocolate? Well these nibs are the healthy version! They are rich in antioxidants which help reduce stress and inflammation.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
How to make the perfect smoothie!
- Prepare the ingredients: Cut up the banana, chop the almonds and soak the chia seeds (optional). I have noticed my blender grinds up the seeds more easily when they are dry, so I leave them dry so that I can get all of the nutrients from them.
- Add the peanut butter and banana: Putting the softer ingredients close to the blades will make sure your blender doesn't overwork the motor. (My blender is extremely underpowered, but if you have a NutriBullet, like my family, or a similar high powered blender this won't be an issue).
- Add the hard ingredients: Add the almonds, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Add the liquid ingredient: You can use water or a plant based milk. You decide!
- Blend your ingredients until your nutty banana smoothie is silky smooth!
- Pour into a glass and top with some cacao nibs.
💭 Expert Tips
Smoothies are best when they are served fresh. But if you do need to prepare it in advance I suggest storing it in the fridge or freezer.
Use a ripe banana
I find the riper the banana the better the smoothie tastes! Don’t be put off by the browning on the peel as that is just superficial.
Blend until 100% smooth!
Depending on how powerful your blender is will affect how long this takes, but even my weak, underpowered portable blender manages to make a delicious, smooth smoothie! Sometimes you just need to be patient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Peanut butter smoothies can be made with water or your preferred plant-based milk! For a nuttier taste, I like using almond milk. For a creamier version, I love using my homemade Coconut Milk
You can! This will depend on personal preference, your blender and the weather. Some blenders won’t be able to crush ice, but if that is the case you can simply pour your smoothie over ice for a more refreshing drink.
Most blenders will be able to blend frozen fruit, especially if you have enough liquids in your blender.
Store your smoothie in an airtight bottle in the fridge for up to two days. But I recommend drinking immediately!
Add more fruit or nut butter to make your smoothie thicker.
Simply add some water or vegan milk and blend again or give it a stir.
Nutty Banana Smoothie Recipe
- Cut up the banana, chop the almonds and soak the chia seeds (optional)*.
- Place the banana, almonds, nut butter, chia seeds, cinnamon and water (or vegan milk) in the blender.
- Blend until silky smooth!
- Pour into a glass and top with cacao nibs.
- * I have noticed my blender grinds up the seeds more easily when they are dry, so I leave them dry so that I can get all of the nutrients from them.
- Smoothies are best when they are served fresh. But if you do need to prepare it in advance I suggest storing it in the fridge or freezer.
- Depending on how powerful your blender is will affect how long this takes, but even my weak, underpowered portable blender manages to make a delicious, smooth smoothie! Sometimes you just need to be patient.
- Nut butter smoothies can be made with water or your preferred plant based milk! For a nuttier taste I like using almond milk.
- Add more fruit or nut butter to make your smoothie thicker or add some water or vegan milk to make it thinner.