Mug cakes are amazing! They are so quick and easy to make, and this Chocolate Coconut Mug Cake is no different. This fudgy cake is the perfect 5-minute dessert when you just need something sweet ASAP.
This amazing little dessert can be made in less than 5 minutes and uses such basic ingredients and utensils that you’ll definitely be able to get your sweet fix! This coconut mug cake uses coconut flour as well as cake flour for a cakey, but healthy version. You can leave out the cake flour for a gluten-free version! This mug cake can also be made sugar-free depending on how sweet your apples are.
Here are some of my other easy dessert recipes!
This post contains affiliate links that I may earn a commission on (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. This helps me keep my vegan kitchen producing content 🤩 Thank you for your support ❤️
All these simple ingredients are probably already in your kitchen, but if not, they’re super easy to purchase at any shop.
Ingredients for the eggless microwave cake:
- Olive oil
- Cocoa Powder
- Coconut Flour
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
Instructions for this easy one-minute mug cake:
In a high-speed blender blend half the apple, oil and water together.
Mix the Cocoa Powder, flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the apple sauce mixture to it.
Gently stir the mixture together until just combined.
Pour the mixture into a mug and microwave your batter for 1 minute on high.
If your batter isn’t cooked then microwave it for an additional 10 seconds.
💭 Top tip
- Just combine the wet and dry ingredients together so the gluten doesn’t overdevelop and cause your mug cake to be overly chewy.
- After your mug cake has been cooking in the microwave for 1 minute, stick a toothpick into the centre to check if it has cooked. The toothpick should come out clean.
- If your batter isn’t cooked, microwave it again for 10 seconds.
- Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overcook and become hard.
- Let the chocolate and coconut mug cake cool for 2 minutes so you don’t burn your mouth!
I love adding some coconut flakes on top and a drizzle of coconut milk!
📖 Substitutions/ Other flavours
For a gluten-free recipe, leave out the cake flour and only use some homemade coconut flour.
For a refined sugar-free version, add some dates or maple syrup to the blender with the apple.
If your apple is very sweet, I’d suggest mixing the batter together without the added sugar and having a little taste of the batter before putting it in the microwave.
This easy 5-minute dessert is best eaten fresh out of the microwave.
The batter can be prepared in advance if you want to make more than one.
Frequently asked questions
This is an easy fix! Just microwave your batter for a little less time. Microwaves have different power levels so some might cook faster than others.
Mug cake should be eaten straight away. They will just turn hard if you try and store them.
Mug cakes can be chewy if you over mix your batter. Follow the recipe below and you’ll get fudgy results!
Yes, mug cakes are safe! This recipe is egg-free and dairy-free, so there is no risk of not cooking it well enough.
Yes! Just grease the sides of the mug with coconut oil before pouring your batter into the mug. Then let the cake stand for a minute after it comes out of the microwave to cool a bit, then tip it onto a serving plate. Easy!
The coconut oil will also give more coconut flavour if you have unrefined coconut oil.
Check out the recipe below for the details! But all you need is 9 ingredients and a mug!
Chocolate and Coconut Mug Cake
- 1 Small apple Or half of a medium sized apple
- 2 Teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1 ml Baking Powder
- In a high speed blender blend the apple, oil and water together.
- Mix the cocoa powder, flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the apple sauce mixture to it.
- Gently stir the mixture together until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a mug and microwave your batter for 1 minute on high.
- If your batter isn’t cooked properly then microwave it for an additional 10 seconds.